Thursday, October 11, 2007

Be Honest



How many people do you know, including yourself, does this excellent graph (thanks to the ever-machinating mind of Jessica Hagy) apply to?

I ashamedly raise my paw. With the exception of Bruce Springsteen, Talking Heads, and (Lowell George original version of) Little Feat, once a group I liked/loved became a bit popular, I tended to listen to their music a lot less. I blame it on my Musical Attention Deficiency, because it sounds more clinical than music snobbery.

Labels:


Comments:
Yeah, that's me alright. Douglas Coupland had a term for this snobbery, but someone's walked off with my (fifth or sixth) copy of Generation X.

Funny thing, though: I never got the hang of sticking with those jazz musicians who became popular, then went on to do something completely inexplicable. e.g., Coletrane post-A Love Supreme, or Miles Davis in his "fusion" phase. A little esoteric goes quite a distance, but when the hair on the back of my neck stands up, I'm quick to change the disc.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home Verging on Pertinence Just some more disposable thoughts clogging up the hinterlands

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Wilmington, Delaware Forecast Locations of visitors to this page eXTReMe Tracker
Loading
follow me on Twitter