Saturday, February 25, 2006

Number by Heart

Charles Walker, on the same titled 2003 release, has it bad and, after a few repeated listenings, so will you.

A slow long soft blow on the sax. A guitar chops in with an explanation or two. The drummer's on a snail's pace, brushing once, twice, o.k., a third time. Then a light tap on the snare and Mr. Walker starts postulating.

"I'm not sure how this happened.
I didn't meeeean to caaaaaaall.
I must have been thinking of you.
Honey, that's all.
There's so much I should forget.
Here's a real good place to start,
'cuz I still know your number by heart.

Baby, yoooooooou left a memory that stays on my mind
One that keeps on getting stronger and stronger all the time

I have tried a new flame.
But I can't feel the spark.
Woooah, and I wish I didn't know your number by heart....


...and you can see him wandering down the street, shoulders slumping toward Babylon.

..Won't you call the operator and haaaaaave your number changed?
Maybe then I won't be trying to get in touch with you again.

Even though you've found another and I've seen you wear his ring, I would be alright, except for just one thing.
Your love had left a mark and
I wish I didn't know your number by heart.


Things were so simpler (carbon-dating commentary here) before ATT split up....


(This is #3 of Ten Heartbreakers as memed by Whisky Prajer)

Labels: ,


Comments:
Nobody does da blues quite like those Motown boys...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home Verging on Pertinence Just some more disposable thoughts clogging up the hinterlands

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Wilmington, Delaware Forecast Locations of visitors to this page eXTReMe Tracker
Loading
follow me on Twitter