Thursday, March 09, 2006

I Wish I was a Fool for You Again....

...goes the refrain to Richard Thompson's song, "For Shame of Doing Wrong" , one of the many heartbreakers from his and (his then) wife, Linda's, 1975 album, Pour Down Like Silver.

Thompson, he of the original Fairport Convention, has been a prolific songwriter and a guitar player of a long and a favorably critiqued career. Anyone who can incorporate renege in a song title (Don't Renege on Our Love) is of a different caliber. Why bungle around with inadequate explanations, when I can point out this most excellent of blog posts by Jaideep Varma to explain Mr. Richard Thompson.

I'll, instead, point out Heartbreaker Song # 10. Since Cowtown Pattie and I were memed by Whisky Prajer to offer variations on his own list of tearjerkers, I've been re-visiting old haunts. Well, at least going on figurative trips. There was a long list of contending songs to fit into the 10 limit list. Some of the candidates that did not make it, not due to their limitations but, rather, my decision-making were:
1) Jackson Browne's "Late for the Sky" album. The whole album, counted as on very long song. When I do listen to this album, I can't just start and stop with one song. It's got to be the whole thing.
2) Cassandra Wilson's version of the Patsy CLine made-famous-but-written-by Willie Nelson song, "Crazy".
3) Loudon Wainwright III's "A Father and a Son", or "Missing You", or "Men" ....or this list can go on for a long time..
4) Holmes Brothers' version of "He'll Have to Go". "Put your sweet lips...."

The ultimate song turned out to be Richard Thompson's "Dimming of the Day", another song from Pour Down Like Silver.

Dimming of the Day

This old house is falling down around my ears
I'm drowning in a river of my tears.
When all my will is gone you hold me sway
I need you at the dimming of the day.

You pull me like the moon pulls on the tide.
You know just where I keep my better side.

What days have come to keep us far apart
A broken promise or a broken heart.
Now all the bonnie birds have wheeled away
I need you at the dimming of the day.

Come the night you're only what I want.
Come the night you could be my confident.

I see you on the street in company
Why don't you come and ease your mind with me.
I'm living for the night we steal away.
I need you at the dimming of the day.
I need you at the dimming of the day.


Thompson's lyrics, always cut free of any excess, are almost kind here. Well, at least not as bitter as he certainly can be.

You pull me like the moon pulls on the tide.
You know just where I keep my better side.
What better way to describe your life's mate than these two simple lines?

....and have these two simple lines come from the mouth of Linda Thompson? No treacle, no sap. Can one be sturdy and yet melt simulataneously? For some reason, her rendition and Richard Thompson's lyrics of the song bring up visions of this film. Emma Thompson, she be at the dimming.

Thanks to all my readers for pulling through this list. Hope some songs rang familiar. Hope others prompted a listen to.

(This is # 10 of Ten Heartbreakers as memed by Whisky Prajer)

Labels: ,


Comments:
DarkoV- thanks for all the wonderful musical suggestions. You have certainly educated me on some new fine listening.

Now, I must play catch up over at my place...
 
Ooooh! Richard & Linda Thompson ... it certainly does not get more heartbreaking than that. Most excellent.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home Verging on Pertinence Just some more disposable thoughts clogging up the hinterlands

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Wilmington, Delaware Forecast Locations of visitors to this page eXTReMe Tracker
Loading
follow me on Twitter