Friday, June 22, 2007

"May you live in interesting times!"

I've been using this alleged aged Chinese curse as a poorly construed version of an off-the-cuff comment to friends and acquaintances as commentary on our lives and, the key word, "interesting" for quite some time. Quite a lot of time, perhaps, as my mouthing of this phrase no longer results in a polite chuckle but more of a mare's harumph.

Now, come to find out, this phrase is neither Chinese, nor old. Funny how self-actualization takes place.

I resolve, this day forward, that any wise-acre phrase I mouth off will be labeled as either Croatian (my favorite note on this entry is "many (proverbs) are considered to be traditional so source cannot be determined") or Klingon. Not enough Croatians out there to second guess me and who the hell is going to believe if that race starts doubting my verbiage?

Labels: ,


Comments:
Hah - don't believe a word of it.

"may you live in interesting times, and come to the attention of important people" has a very definite chinese kick to it.

Supposedly "may you lead an interesting life" is a scottish variant. But I read that - never once heard it said.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home Verging on Pertinence Just some more disposable thoughts clogging up the hinterlands

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Wilmington, Delaware Forecast Locations of visitors to this page eXTReMe Tracker
Loading
follow me on Twitter