Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Land of Three Rivers

It's time for another Pittsburgh Road Trip this weekend. Parent's Day at college and all that's associated with this fine type of affair. Preparations are being made:
1) Tire pressure @ 32 psi? Check.
2) Windshield washer fluid container full? Check.
3) Blankets, sleeping bags, torches, flares, grappling equipment and 800 ft of rope, ball pein hammer, gallon of Mace (bear protection), enough water and dried fruit for 3 days in trunk of car? Check. You never know when, without explanation, your car veers off one of the cliffs on the PA Turnpike and barrels down 700 feet to the bottom of the rocky detritus. You'll have to keep warm as you climb back up to the road, you know.
4) Portable cd player to play some music if you're at the bottom of that ravine for a bit longer than expected? Check.
Speaking of music,
5) Car tunes ready for any possible mood or mood swing? No!! I'll have to work on that tonight. Suggestions are welcome. Sorry, no New Age or Folk Singers of Emotional Intent. Nope, not even one warble, please. Has to be music with teeth. Big Teeth, to keep you alert.

An addendum of note:
A consistently funny commentator on Isoglossia has been a person using the nome de blog of Jagosaurus. Well, Jagosaurus practices her humorous craft on her own blog entitled Hillbilly, Please. Her rant here on political campaigns gives you a clear idea of her mindset and her gifts of expressing said mindset. Definitely one to keep revisiting. Her blog has been duly added to the sidebar.

A design note. Check out the way she has things arranged, hidden, presented in her blog. Whereas my blog is something like this, hers is more like this.

Labels:


Comments:
Ah, gratuitous flattery, how I love thee.

Incidentally, I'm unveiling a new site design soonish. The timetable depends on the whim of the designer. I'm hoping the result will be a cross-pollination of Antonio Gaudi and Dr. Seuss.

(kidding)
 
Suggestions? I hope I'm not too late.

I'll throw this one in, not even sure if you can get it here, but Noci U Dalmaciji, by Bonaca, is a wonderfully beautiful road trip alternative to jazz, fusion or otherwise (okay, maybe it borders too closely to the emotionally intended folk that you fear might carry you to your deaths, but I think not).

As for jazz, how about the Dave Brubeck Quartet (Time in Outer Space or something similar)?

Or the David Grisman Quintet (Dawgwood is very good)...or David Grisman & Jerry Garcia together, on So What.

Wynton Marsalis (Joe Cool's Blues)?

Or how about Rahsaan Roland Kirk (Simmer, Reduce, Garnish & Serve...if the Lunatic Danza won't keep you on the road, nothing will)?

And finally, near the end of my ipod search in the suitably rousing jazz category, how about the Yellowjackets (anything but Dreamland, which might not be the stimulant you're looking for)?

Now if it's blues you want, that's a whole 'nother thing. I always take Ray Charles' Genius Loves Company on the road with me. And Rory Block, and Keb Mo, and Queen Ida, and Etta James, and
Taj Mahal.

'Nuff already...have a safe trip!
 
Jagosaurus-Flattery is never gratuitous if it's deserved.

Gwynne-Thanks for the suggestions. Mr. Grisman's stuff is always great for travelling. The wife likes Keb Mo; I tend toward Magic Slim, Albert King, B.B., and Angela Strehli (who sometimes plays with the ever-energetic Marcia Ball). The new John Legend will certainly be coming along. His song "Slow Dance" will be making an apperanace at every wedding you'll be attending in the next decade or so.
 
Yep, I left out the Kings, and many others whom I prefer listening to at home, with a glass of wine...or live...I much prefer B.B. in his live performances over his recordings. I suppose the same can be said for most blues artists, but especially him.

Marcia Ball is performing in town with other "divas" (maybe Angela?)this Saturday. I'll report back.

I've not heard John Legend yet, but anyone who aligns himself with the rappers is liable to lose my attention. That's just me. :-)

The wife has good taste. Keb Mo is like butter. ;-)
 
So, you gonna post on the road, Jack?

Music suggestions - and I am probably too late for this little jaunt, but next time...

I am currently in love with this cd.

One can never go wrong with a little Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt and Steve Earle.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home Verging on Pertinence Just some more disposable thoughts clogging up the hinterlands

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Wilmington, Delaware Forecast Locations of visitors to this page eXTReMe Tracker
Loading
follow me on Twitter