Monday, August 21, 2006

A Change of Residence

It's been a while since her two cupped hands fit so snugly within one of mine. Her threat of "out-talling" her old man was almost carried out; I was saved by a shortfall in her last growth spurt. But not my much. The ever-loving wife, on the other hand, has to look up at all of us to get a peek.

And a peek is just the thing I need right now as my daughter starts her college days. While she may not have "out-talled" me, her path is clear, though steep, in out-smarting the geezer. Nary a beer can nor a "party-on" banner was seen when we unloaded her chosen possessions and herself, our most precious cargo, at her university. There was an intensity and resoluteness on the campus that gave evidence that long nights sitting with textbooks and portables (not potables) was in her immediate future.

A solid but untested ship has been launched and she's mapping out her own course. The timber's sound. THe sails are full and taut. Her lonliest voyage is now started.

As she starts up the stairs to her dorm, I wave a hand that once cupped her and is now letting her go.
God, what a beautiful kid/woman she's become....

Comments:
This is a major thing. I can't conceive of watching a child go through that kind of coming-of=age thing, yet I know, on an intellectual level, that such days will one day come. I hope you're not too choked up. Okay, I hope you're appropriately choked up. Just enough to feel good about. And good luck to your girl in what ought to be some great, great years for her.
 
And here I am, trying to stop crying into my sleeve. Thanks for this, and all the best to her, and you.
 
sgazetti, WP, Alcessa,
Thanks for all of your comments. She's about 5 hours away and weekend trips from there to here are not worth it due to the bus/train time length. But I'm sure we'll be driving in her direction at least once a month or until she gets tired of seeing the parental units hovering on her doorstep. What we can bribe her with is the excellent quality of restaurants in Pittsburgh and a chance ot break away from the sometimes over-inclusivity of dormitory life.
But, folks, I've got tell you that just passing by her room at home (which she has insited that we can't change in any shape, way, or form without written permission from her) is a heavy-hearted thing. A daughter's pull on her father's heartstrings is a mighty force.
 
SNIFFFF! you got me in tears... I have a few years to wait for mine to leave home and I already dread it.
good luck to your daughter, she sounds like she'll do fine.
and so will you! :)
 
What a sweet photo!

Having four all "growed up" daughters myself, I know well the milestones and heart tugs of letting go. I am fortunate in that none of mine went to school out of town, and they all now live within 20 minutes or less from my house.

That's why we're hauling butt to Big Bend as fast as we can...

*kidding...sort of...*

Good luck to your little...er big one!

And, Dad, chin up. She will always love you first, love you best. I was a daughter, too.
 
All the best to you all! it's wierd, kids do grow up, my first grand kid starts kindergaten the 29th, and my daughter is a wet soggy piece of toast!
I told her 'aw suck it up, she's going to be fine!'
Then I was a wet soggy piece of toast!
 
Chin up, son. And good luck to her.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home Verging on Pertinence Just some more disposable thoughts clogging up the hinterlands

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Wilmington, Delaware Forecast Locations of visitors to this page eXTReMe Tracker
Loading
follow me on Twitter