Friday, July 21, 2006

Sour Grapes or Is it Cattiness?

In Terry Teachout's entry today, he recounts the further adventures of his life as an uncle. I think his niece is one lucky person having such a high-energy host who's more than willing to act as one of her life tutors. Hell, I wish he was my uncle; I'd love to see NYC through his eyes. He's obviously a fine writer and opinionator; don't think WSJ would be paying him the big bucks otherwise. I usually enjoy his pieces and always find some helpful links or suggestions for books or music when I'm there.

His piece today, however, was a bit dicey for me. At one point he writes:

"I’ve been a drama critic for three years now, so you’d think I’d be used to seeing my name on the Great White Way, but the truth is that I get a huge kick out of it, and probably always will. Tonight my pleasure was enhanced by the presence of my niece, who took a snapshot of me standing next to one of the Wedding Singer posters that bears my name".

I know critics play a vital role in a Broadway play's success...or failure. But, they're not involved in any of the creative, directorial, financial, human resource related aspects of the play/musical. And yet credit is given to them. It's like showing up at your grandmother's for the Thanksgiving meal and being haled the conquerring hero for eating. For most movies and plays, I do place a lot of trust in a favorite critic's opinions (coming naturally to my Slavic paranoia kind of guydom, I would peruse a minimum of 4 written critiques, if available, before considering plopping down some money for a movie/show). But never do I think that they have anything to do with the way the thing was put together, unless of course they were involved and then I ignore thier opinion altogether. I mean, I think my kids are the greatest in the world and, yeah, I had something to do with their creation and upbringing, but, hey, don't you think so too? Yeah,...right.

So, that's why this seemingly little picture-posing that Mr. Teachout did for his niece turned my stomach. A semblance of creation is not creation.

He is a finely critiqued author, i.e., a creator. I would understand his niece snapping a photo of Mr. Teachout next to a pile of his books. But the "critic posing next to poster published criticism" thing?

Please read the article. Let me know if I should get my fingernails clipped. Meoooww!

Addendum (7/24/06): I would like to sincerely thank Mr. Teachout for his mention of this blog entry in his noteworthy Arts Journal. Frankly, it was a surprise. He noted that "...except for the stomach-turning part, I don’t disagree with anything he says, all of which is worth reading.", before taking me to task for the stomach-turning phrase I threw in. For those of you reading this, I hope the heaping of praise onto him and his blog in this entry was noticed; it made up the majority of what I had to say about Mr. Teachout. My verbal skills may not have done justice to my over-riding point, namely, that modesty is the most beautiful of garments that a hero can wear. For those who admire him seeing and reading of his feats is sufficient; self-issued p.r. is not necessary.

Well, whatever. I would like to thank Mr. Teachout for noting my comment in his entry, even if it was grist for his mill. The traffic here had a slight upturn the past 3-4 days. An unintentional benefit I certainly had not planned on.

I'll certainly still be visiting his site, which along with Arts & Letters Daily, Maud Newton, the Book Slut, and the Slavs of New York are more than enought sites to offer culled and analyzed information of what to see, hear, and touch in this excessively filled up cultural world.

Comments:
And yet I get such a kick whenever I see my name ... er, nome de plume on your blog! I think our Darko needs a hug...
 
I think we should take a picture of him with his monitor in the background, tuned to Mr Teachout's blog!
 
Well, 2 answers, both indicating (seemingly) that I was handing out the grief for no good reason.
One answer=consider getting a saddle
Two answers=buy the saddle and raise a cheek so I can get branded.

Damn, I seriously thought I had a valid point. GOne are the days of humility and no self-promotion.
 
That "Mr Pertinence should look around for his humor" sentence must have cut to the bone.

Shudder to think of it...

I don't really have an opinion, one way or the other. But I did laugh at your update - Dude! You got mentioned!
 
FCB,
Thanks for the consoaltion. No. that comment, while wicked good, did not cut to the bone. I know you'll understand why. Anyone who's been married and has had kids has had the opportunity to be cut quickly and deeply. Not knowing Mr. Teachout, save for the fact that he's not married and (I don't believe) has had any kids and would not be considered a kind soul of blogging friendship, his comments would be looked at more for their reflection on himself than on myself.
In the "beer in a pub" test of interaction, I would most probably be blowing the head of a poured beverage into his face than be clicking cheers with his glass, quaffing, and gabbing.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home Verging on Pertinence Just some more disposable thoughts clogging up the hinterlands

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Wilmington, Delaware Forecast Locations of visitors to this page eXTReMe Tracker
Loading
follow me on Twitter