Wednesday, April 19, 2006

"What Was I Thinking?" Songs of Shame #3

There was a begatting and another and more and more. I'll follow Chris Hillman through some of the permutations. Mr. Hillman started with
the Byrds,
sashayed over to the Flying Burrito Brothers,
slipped over to Manassas,
joined with Rich Furay (of Buffalo Springfield and Poco) and J.D. Souther to form The Souther, Hillman, Furay Band,
which broke up and he formed (one of many concoctions of) The Chris Hillman Band,
where he hung around for a while and then wamoosed to McGuinn, Clark & Hillman,
and then simply McGuinn & Hillman,
went back to The Chris Hillman Band,
the opted to join up with the Desert Rose Band,
leaving for McGuinn, Hillman & Crosby,
then just Hillman & Pederson,
soon to become Hillman, Pederson, Rice & Rice,
jaunting off with the Scotsville Squirrel Barkers,
and back to, you guessed it, The Chris Hillman Band.

If bands were weddings, Mr. Hillman would have, as Tom Waits would put it, "rice marks all over his face." Whew! Had my pick of the litter here for Song of Shame. Went with the biggest ego formation of the bunch, Souther, Hillman & Furay. And who could forget the lap-steely, whiny, cojones-less, JD Souther penned ballad, "Pretty Goodbyes" from "Wounded Heart".

Souther, Hillman, Furay and all the otherEagles/Jackson Browne-like bands were fronted by nicely head and chest coiffed brown/blonde hair California/Texas type with a coyote-charmed voice bleeding vulnerable (and badly worded but rhyming) lyrics enwrapped in a 2 or 3 male harmony. They were wolves in search of willing lambs.

"You don't want to hear it, but the words in my mouth
You don't wanna know it so I'll try not to shout
But I've been lonlelier with you than I was without
And now there's nothing to say but goodbye."


Meet you, love you, use you, dump you...but let me make that rhyme.

...Later...

Baby, pretty soon when I'm gone well you can open your eyes
And have a good cry but say goodbye tell me goodbye
Say a pretty goodbye
Baby, you could be gone with a smile on your face
Instead of letting those good tears go to waste.


I can't believe I actually sang along with this song, blasting it as I drove down to the Jersey shore, in search of girl's hearts to break. (Not to worry...my song bark was worse than my patter bite)

Bruce couldn't come along any faster for me. I was in need of some substance and some true passion. No more coiffed boys for me.

Comments:
Hee hee! Perhaps this was the theme song Mr. H. sang to all his ex-bandmates? In which case, he needn't have worried about anyone's good tears going to waste.
 
Whoa there! And what's wrong with coiffed guys from Texas?

And we should have a blog showdown: Bruce versus Delbert (or would Lyle be a better spar?...)

Cool, I am "verified" as "foxyvp"
 
CP!
Didn't want to get the knickers all roilled up! The Texas reference, just like the California reference, was dated. I just remember that back in the day when bands like Souther-Hillman-Furay were thrust upon us, their claim to birth was always one of those two states. States, being rather inanimate objects, could not protest such proclamations.

As far as a blog showdown!??!? I'd never match up any of my choices up against Mr. Lyle Lovett, or Mr. Delbert McClinton (or Jimmy Vaughan or Steve Earle or Lou Ann BArton or Angela Strehli for that matter) because I really like those folks a lot.
Besides, they're not of the coiffed head and chest crowd anyway.
 
Well, I dunno; have you seen the head of hair on Lyle?

Talk about coiffed! Maybe it's really "au natural".
 
Post a Comment



<< Home Verging on Pertinence Just some more disposable thoughts clogging up the hinterlands

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Wilmington, Delaware Forecast Locations of visitors to this page eXTReMe Tracker
Loading
follow me on Twitter