Monday, August 29, 2005

Black Puppy

Nuzzling the chin of the Black Puppy has been a daily activity for the past three weeks or so. Hard not totouch what seems so eager and innocent, when the alternative, no warmth & no fuzzies, lacks any appeal. When not sleeping, I'm thinking 6 hours ahead. Six hours being the time difference between here (the States) and there (Croatia). What matters for me, at least now, is what folks are doing over there at the same time, but 6 hours ahead on my dial. They're always ahead, enjoying their day long before I've had a chance to enjoy my own. It feels as if I'm sleepwalking through my days. Not especially good company for the ever-loving wife, who quips that I'm my former self twice removed, a shadow poking from room to room. A friend mentioned that her visits back home (in England) always left her thinking 5 hours ahead, upon her return to the States. That means she's one hour closer to the reality of being here and not back there. When I was much younger and making the return trips more often, no Black Puppies came to lick my face when I was stateside. Life was as it was and time was uniformly short. Now, I nervously look askance at the doorway, waiting for the first view of a wet nose. Jumping onto each day's activities offers attention-seeking opportunities. Anything to send off the sadness of seperation into the same envelope of lustrous holiday pictures. Just hoping my Black Puppy doesn't grow up to be a Dog; I'll keep on rubbing its ears while its eyes are only slightly doleful.

Re. the Black Puppy references, a diminutive of 'Black Dog', go to Churchill's 'Black Dog', which came via Searchblog, which, in turn, was pointed out by Bleak Mouse, ever alert for a malady's lierary reference. Between Bleak Mouse and Stephenesque, one can easily read about the blue devils without succombing to the vapours.

Comments:
There's also Capote/Golightly's "Screaming Reds". But Golightly's usual prescription - alcohol and uppers - should be avoided at all costs. Here's hoping the puppy chooses to leave on its own accord.
 
Well, unfortunately the puppy is only very young and he already looks rather melancholic. People might have to feed him more scraps from the table than usual.
 
Montaigne was so down-in-the-dumps after a fortnight vacation on the Costa Del Sol (before the english and the germans got there) that he invented "Essays" on his return to his estates.

What, pray, are yougoing to invent,eh?
 
WP
Stephenesque
FCB
Gentlemen! Please provide me with your shoe sizes at your earliest convenience. Wouldn't want you to dirty up your own footwear while you're administering the needed medicine, kicking a poor guy when he's down.
What will I be inventing? Hopefully an instant amnesia pill. These rose-tinted glasses I've been donning have not done a bloody thing for me.
Thanks guys, for setting me straight!
 
Boy, I feel dumb.

I was talking to hubby at the other computer, clicking and reading (nope no gum) and at first glance, I thought, "Wow, DarkoV has a new little guy!"

When I got to the bottom and saw the Churchill reference,the "oops" hit me.

The after-vacation blues are the pits, especially when the sweet respite was to a well-loved place, and with enough time spent to become infatuated all over again with its beauty.

I'm sorry...
 
CP: Sorry if I mislead you down that path of overly cute mutts! If it makes you feel any better, no animals were harmed in this blog entry.
 
Mr. Bleak Mouse all Black Dogs were once cuddly puppies just like, I guess, all Bleak Mice were once adorable mouse babies (sounded better than mice litter). It's Life's ongoing joys and sadnesses that change the puppies to Black Dogs and the mouse babies to Bleak Mice.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home Verging on Pertinence Just some more disposable thoughts clogging up the hinterlands

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Wilmington, Delaware Forecast Locations of visitors to this page eXTReMe Tracker
Loading
follow me on Twitter