Thursday, February 24, 2005

Web Snow
An odd day at work today. The BIG snow storm of the year is churning about the Delamarva peninsula. Snow started to float down around 9:30 a.m., an odd time for folks needing to make decisions. School districts and independent schools were not willing to call off classes for the day initially; weather forecasters are still viewed with suspicion. This storm was predicted on Tuesday as a biggie...but one never knows.
As folks at work saw the flakes coming down, the Internet was hit, big time. Snow Watch was a favorite. You could walk from one end of the offices to the other and follow each school closing as you glanced at the scrolling terminals of the cubicles you passed. Getting a customer's order.
Finishing a CAD drawing.
Matching up checks to invoices.
All these activites took backseats to what was happening with one's kids' school. (I'm blogging over lunch time, so I'm conducting self-absolution here).
As a manager, I'm thinking how much time is too much time to be in the office but out on the internet.
As a father, I'm thinking time limits and children's safety are mutually exclusive concerns.
As a 6 year old kid bouncing inside my head, I'm staring out the window and screaming "SNOW DAY !!!" & "Where'd I put the sleigh?".

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home Verging on Pertinence Just some more disposable thoughts clogging up the hinterlands

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Wilmington, Delaware Forecast Locations of visitors to this page eXTReMe Tracker
Loading
follow me on Twitter