Friday, December 17, 2004

Bing's the Thing

Most of you know what the plot line is in White Christmas, but for those who don't and who also want to read a critique, The Plaza's a place to go. Be forewarned that, like most commentaries about WC, this site is not too pleased.
I don't necessarily disagree with the negativity; I just feel that WC is one of those films that you just have to suspend your sense of logic. Turning down your schmaltzmeter also helps.

The film is not director Michael Curtiz'(of "Casablanca" fame) best effort. Repeat offerings of the same songs within a short time frame gives the film an impression that not enough material was available.
The cast of Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney, Vera-Ellen, Mary Wickes are excellent, with Kaye & Crosby obviously enjoying themselves and each other. Kaye was the third choice for his role, accepting only after Fred Astaire and Donald O'Connor passed. Lucky for us. The script has some clever dialogue sprinkled in with the (mostly) great songs. The movie even managed to be nominated for an Academy Award for Best Song for "Count Your Blessings"

Like most of you, I've always seen this movie at home, either on one of the commercial stations or on video. As a kid, I couldn't stand it. Who in this world is having a conversation in a train one minute and then crooning about snow in the next? My folks watched it each winter. My mom even joined in the singing. Jeez, I'll never get that sappy!

Well, as a child is father to a man, I've been watching "White Christmas" with my daughter and son for the past 12 years or so. I'm not singing along; my children are well-armed with pillows, rolled up socks, and verbal barbs. But, I now enjoy the film each winter holiday.

Then, this year, I really saw the film. Wilmington's Grand Opera House occasionally shows old movies, when the hall is not booked. Last night, they showed "White Christmas". Small Audience. Great enthusiasm (clapping after certain song & dance numbers). You were able to see ALL of the facial nuances of Crosby & Kaye when they did their version of "Sisters". Vera-Ellen's dance routines seemed even more energetic. And her legs...well, they must have been 10 feet long. Crosby's voice, as my ever-loving wife noted, hit you in your chest and then your ears. Sappy? No doubt. Contrived? You betcha. See it again? Absolutely. Except, I'm spoiled now. Only the Big Screen will do.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home Verging on Pertinence Just some more disposable thoughts clogging up the hinterlands

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Wilmington, Delaware Forecast Locations of visitors to this page eXTReMe Tracker
Loading
follow me on Twitter